Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Hand Foot & Mouth Epidemic: 23 Months

The 23 Month mark brought lots of changes in our house. Mama and Dada became Mommy and Daddy. A once French sounding Bebe turned into a more country bumpkin version of Baby. 

The 2012 Hand, Foot, & Mouth Epidemic of Winston struck at our house days before our 4th of July beach trip; fortunately we were eventually "cleared" to attend the trip just a few days behind everyone else. Unfortunately, our clearance proved to be a little premature and we happily shared our germs with all of our friends. (Still looking for the appropriate Hallmark card to cover that situation... "Sorry we gave you an infectious disease, have fun staying away from people for the next 7 days") 

After a fun but germ-filled trip to the beach, we returned home, where nap time turned into something resembling more of a rave than a suitable rest time and Mama started wondering if this two babies under the age of three idea was going to be as fun as I originally thought.  

Give me 8 weeks and I'll let you know...

We discovered while trying to teach Mia to count to ten, that she already knew how, and watched in amazement as she transitioned from thinking her name was "You" to understanding that her name is in fact Mia Eanes. 

And, even though sweet Mia Kate had never seen an episode of Sesame Street in her short 23 months of life, Elmo emerged as her new favorite friend. She made sure to let anyone doubting this know by chanting "Yea Elmo" all 4 plus hours home from the beach. 

I'm trying to get a head start on packing...how do these glasses look? I think they're the best option, but I'm having trouble deciding...

Are these better?


Whoever said being prepared was the way to go was entirely misinformed... these little bumps showed up all over my body and everybody started freaking out. If you ask me they add just the detail my outfit was missing, but not everyone seems to think so.

Apparently it is frowned upon to hang out at the beach with 5 of your best buds while sporting these bumps... I just don't get it.

Luckily, all was not lost with the beach trip delay- Ev and Mrs. Stacy came to visit to keep me company for a few days. It was so fun to hang out with them, even if they wouldn't let me touch Baby Ev. Every time I got near him they started fussing about those bumps again...

Even though I didn't get to hold him, Daddy did. Mommy said he was "practicing" although I'm not sure what for. I'm way bigger than Ev now.

Since we couldn't get to the beach right away, and I was quarantined from all normal society, Mommy got a little lax and started letting me play in places I never had before. Maybe having a fever isn't so bad after all.

Just another water play date with me and my bath toys. After I crawled in the tub, the bathroom door was mysteriously shut all the time. Good thing I'm a problem solver- I just learned to turn the knobs so I could get in.

Finally after all that waiting we got to leave for the beach. See it guys... just beyond those houses... paradise.


Everyday the Daddy's set up a big tent for us and dug a waterhole in the ground. It was nice to play in but...

I really prefer the ocean. Those waves can't scare me.


Since the last time I was at the beach Daddy didn't go I decided I better break him in quick. When I am ready to play in the ocean, I am ready- waiting really isn't my best quality.

The boys on the Fourth of July. Nathan's Daddy didn't feel very good so mine said he would stand in for the boy picture. I think they make a nice pair, if I do say so myself.

Ok Mommy's I think we would all prefer to be playing right now.
Apparently Carolina Beach celebrates the Fourth one day early, good thing I brought multiple festive outfits. When I wasn't on the beach I preferred to hang out here in the Bumbo and play with Mr. Chris' favorite toy. He really liked it when I played the same song over and over so I tried to accomplish that task as much as possible.

Sand really adds a nice crunch to the goldfish.

One morning all the Mommies took off without us kids... it was so strange... one second they were there and the next they were just gone. They didn't even seem sad to be leaving. I was a little worried myself, on how the Daddies would handle it but I learned quick, everything is more fun when Daddy is in charge! After about 5 mins of sitting around they blew this bounce house up and we started jumping!

We had a great time friends! Sorry about the bumps some of you took home as souvenirs.

I was so upset to be home I thought hanging out with Wade at Kripy Kreme's 75th birthday party would help. It might have helped if Mommy would have let me have a donut. Clearly the kid in the background didn't get one either.

There was a terrible miscommunication I said donut... not slide Daddy.

Ok, I guess this is sorta fun. Say Cheese...

I don't know Nathan... that horse looks pretty wild, are you sure  you can handle him?
Being home meant more than just playing with friends... it was back to the grind laying out Baby's changing pad, changing her diaper, and giving her a bottle every morning.

I also thought it was high time Baby learned to share, so I decided to introduce Puppy Dog into my daily routine. Puppy dog loves taking rides around the house. Sometimes when I get tired I hop in as well and chant "ride, ride" really loudly until Mommy gets the hint and pushes me around.


After I built up my endurance pushing my stroller Mommy and Daddy thought it was time we tried something more strenuous. So we packed up the family and went to Pilot Mountain for a fun filled morning of hiking and picnicking. I'm not exactly sure what an anniversary is but every year on July 15th Mommy and Daddy pull out the same picnic basket and load it up with lots of treats. .8 miles... I've so got this.
Perhaps I spoke slightly too soon. .8 miles is longer than you think when your legs are so short. Otis thought so too.

Yes, I do believe I will ride up here for the rest of the trip.

That night Aunt Jill and Cousins Lauren and Matt showed up so Mommy and Daddy could go out... again I was slightly confused as to why I wasn't invited but the loss is obviously theirs. Daddy took Mommy to play mini golf and gave her specific candy prizes (the 6th anniversary is candy- whatever that means) coordinating with how many strokes it took her to get the ball in the hole. If she got a hole-in-one then Daddy said Mommy could have cold stone. Mommy is smart... she got 2 hole-in-ones and since Daddy wasn't specific in the fine print she redeemed them both.

I leave you with a song... "sometimes you get Hand, Foot, & Mouth, and sometimes you get germs. Sometimes donuts come your way and sometimes you just have to play. Whichever is true in your life just know that Elmo is there. He loves you oh so much and wants you to leave your diaper on and not rub it in your hair. Yea Elmo"





No comments:

Post a Comment