Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Heart for the Nations

"He (God) has an inexhaustible enthusiasm for the supremacy of his name among the nations. Therefore let us bring our affections into line with his, and, for the sake of his name, let us renounce the quest for worldly comforts, and join his global purpose."
 
I felt the tears swelling up as I watched the video in church that Sunday. I cursed the tears (as much as is appropriate in church), quickly wiped them away, and wondered for the hundredth time when my hormones would calm down...after all Mia was over a year old.

And then, I thought about it... maybe this wasn't such an absurd time to be crying. 


Sure, the cotton commercials and fabric softener commercials seem to evoke more of my tears than the next person's... but this was not that... what we were watching was reality. A reality very different than our own, but reality none-the-less for the children on the screen.

The children of Swaziland, Africa.

The video focused on our church Salem Chapel and the partnership it has with it's adopted Care Point in Manzini, Swaziland. It is at this care point where children come to be fed, sometimes clothed, and most importantly to learn the truth of who Jesus Christ is and what His life and death means for them. 

And, it just got me.

How easy is it for most of us to trust in a Savior when we have not wanted one day for food, when our illnesses are met with the hope of great available medical care, when our comfort is so easily adjusted by the single push of a button on a thermostat.

For these kids it is different.

They must learn to trust in a Savior who loves them and died for them regardless of circumstance and current situation.  A Savior who cares just as much for them as he does me, even though I have never worried about where my shoes and socks would come from when I outgrew the last pair. A Savior who desperately desires to make his name known to them and to spend eternity with them in Heaven, just as He desires to do that with me.

I believe that is worth crying over. 

And at the end of the video when the question was posed..."Will you go?" I knew I wanted to, and at the same time, I knew I couldn't.

When I ask John about these things, he always replies the same way... "maybe some day we could do that..." or "that would be nice one day...wouldn't it?". So, even though it was weighing on my heart I decided not to bring it up. Until God decided better.

Two weeks after watching the video in church, Mr. Eanes looked at me and said, "What would you think about me going to Swaziland on the mission trip?" I was floored. At my current stage in life, I could not go, but my husband could.

And that's how the decision was made... John is going to Swaziland, Africa.


And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."  Isaiah 6:8
 
In just a couple of months my husband will depart with some others from our church to give the staff of locals at our Carepoint in Manzini, a much needed break while running a Bible camp for the week. We are praying that God uses John and this team to bring an eternal perspective to the children of Manzini. Desiring to meet the spiritual, emotional, and physical needs of these children, the team will be distributing care bags our church members have been filling with much needed goodies like socks, soap, tooth brushes, and flashlights.

One of the most exciting opportunities this trip has given us has been the chance to see God really move in our everyday lives. When we agreed that John should go, we also agreed to finding partners to come alongside us and help us raise $3,200. As a family we contributed $750.00, of this ourselves, and are daily believing God for the remaining $2,450. Currently, we have raised $1,400, and are in need of $1,050, to completely fund this trip.The remaining $1,050 are due by January 31st. 

We are trusting God with this money and believe our God of the Universe does not want for anything... $1,050 is pocket change to the one who made the heavens and the earth. We would like to give you an opportunity to partner with us and help bring the gospel to the children of Manzini, Swaziland. 

If you would like make a tax-deductible donation and give, please do so by using the PayPal donate button on the sidebar of our blog. We will use your information when we give the money to the church so your gift will be tax-deductible.

Gifts of any size help make a difference, but if giving is not in the cards for you right now then we ask you to pray for our family, for these funds we need to raise, and most importantly for the time our team will spend in Swaziland and the hearts of the people they will meet there.

Thus far, God has amazed us with his faithfulness in this area. We continue to be humbled and astounded by the Grace of God, we pray in 2012 you are too.


1 comment:

  1. Kelley, saw your post on Facebook that you all have the funds for John! Praise!

    I just did a post and tagged you in the game...not sure if you do these kinds of posts but I thought it would be fun. Love your sense of humor so should be interesting to read all your "thoughts"... :)

    http://southern-sunshine.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete